Veggie pies are an alternative to quiche that have no dairy and are truly healthy, inexpensive and easy to make. Use whatever produce you have on hand. If you want to avoid grains, simply make it without a crust. This one is great hot or cold. Add a salad and you have a great meal on a budget!
Pie crust of choice, optional
- 5 leeks*
- 1/2 cup water
- ¾ cup water
- 2 TBL arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 TBL tahini (sesame seed butter)
- ½- 1 tsp basil (more if fresh)
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp salt (or use 2 tsp tamari)
Here is how you can make this healthy pie!
- Cut the leeks in half lengthwise and wash out all sand. Finely slice the white and green part, omitting the root and last inch of greens.
- Saute leeks in some oil (or non-stick skillet) fo about 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cup water, cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch or arrowroot in ¾ cup water. Stir in tahini and pour over leeks
- Cook until thickened, stir in herbs and salt (or tamari)
- Place in pre-baked pie shell if using.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes at 375 degrees or until done.
*Use other veggies if you don’t have leeks – – – experiment and learn to be creative with your foods!