This is healthier and so easy to make!
Here is what you’ll need!
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ¾ c. Sucanat (could use brown sugar)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 batches of air popped popcorn*
Now that you have everything you need, here is the easy to make it:
- Put butter, syrup and Sucanat and salt in pan. Bring to boil, stir to dissolve and then let boil for 3-4 minutes (I usually do 3 ½ minutes).
- Remove from heat, stir in soda and then vanilla.
- Have a nice clean sink. Place popped popcorn in the sink (fill drain with stopper and some foil or wax paper to keep syrup from seeping down and being wasted)
- Carefully pour hot syrup over the popcorn, stirring as you go. Cover all kernels (this is where you get to decide if you want heavily covered popcorn or less covered)
- Put ½ of popcorn on an oiled jelly-roll pan. Repeat. Bake at 300 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.*
- Cool, break apart and put into bags or tins.
Notes: I bake both sheets and rotate top to bottom half way through for even browning. White kernels do better than yellow kernels. You can purchase 2 1/3 7 ounce bags of bagged popcorn at the store instead of popping your own.
Making the popcorn in the sink makes for very easy cleanup!
I would not double this recipe as the syrup does bubble up. When you make it, share with us how you liked your Caramel Corn!